Dungog Under 16s vs Central Charlestown

The first game of the season saw Dungog take on Central with Dungog making the kick off. The boys showed good strong defence straight away, making low clean tackles on the opposition. Dungog soon had the ball in their possession with Steve Muddle making a good run from fullback. This got the play down the ground with Cody Argent scoring the first try after receiving a quick inside pass from Bryson Braham. Central hit back straight away when they got the ball when one of their big forwards pushed through the defence passing it out to the winger right on the line who was able to score in the corner. Central backed this up again with another try after gaining possession from a dropped ball from Dungog, scrambling over the line to score and lead 8-4.  Cody made a short kick off which Steve was able to scoop up and get to twenty metres out from the line. From there Cody was able to scoot across to score his second try which Braydon Porter easily converted. Central was next to score after winning the scrum twenty metres out from their line after Dungog was pushed out over the sideline. They took back the lead 12-10.  An error from Central saw a Dungog feed in a scrum thirty metres out. Steve was able to gather the ball up after winning the scrum and dash across the line from the off side for an easy try.  Dungog was playing well with few mistakes and playing a good defensive game as well which lead to the next try with Cody making another good break getting only ten metres out and managing to make a quick off load to Harry Boorer who had timed his run well onto the ball finding a gap in the defence to score his first try for the season. Dungog backed this up shortly after with their next try which came about after another good run from Cody followed by Blake Fisher when he got the ball who has been working hard all game with and without the ball. He also was able to get the ball down the ground and offloaded to Bryson Braham to score taking Dungog to a comfortable lead of 28-12. The second half saw a different Dungog side come out with fatigue and the warm weather combined with a few small injuries all showing on the boys. They had to work hard defending their try line with Central trying to get across with the ball but Dungog managed to keep them out bringing the ball back for a restart only to lose possession with a knock on giving Central another opportunity to score but Dungog held their ground keeping them out and forcing a scrum which they won. Jack Thompson was able to make a good run down the sideline but was brought down about ten metres from the line.  Central managed to scramble their way down the field and their big number eight pushed over line to score. They were to make another couple of close calls and was to score once more when their centre broke through running up the sideline to take the score to 28 -24 Dungog’s way. All eyes were on the clock when Central threatened again but the ref ruled a forward pass giving the ball back to Dungog to close out the final seconds. The hooter sounded fulltime to a relieved Dungog side and a somewhat freakily calm coach. It was a well earned win to Dungog and a good kick off to the season. Points Cody Argent 3 Steve Muddle 2 Gavin Fisher 1